Alright! I had to work a few days, and had a few failures, but here’s the update!
I had 3 back to back resin fails… but then I had a success! I figured out that I am just going to have to do multiple pours. And I bought a new mold to try out.
So, fail with demoulding and building my own mold.
Then the first pour worked out fine.
Then the second and third pours. I discovered that the 3rd pour was the clearest and least bubbly, so I will be going with 50mL pours for my future attempts. (Upon reflection, the box says to pour no thicker than 3/8 of an inch, but I didn’t think I needed to follow the rules… Measured that pour, and it’s almost exactly 3/8 of an inch. So. lol)
You can definitely see the lines of the different pours, so that’s my next hurdle. Always gotta have a hurdle. But you can also see how much better that third layer is. Considering I used the same technique for each layer and the volume was the only variable, I think I have a winner.
I also finally managed to get the corners completely filled!!! My hypothesis was that my reaction was kind of running away with itself, and I needed to try smaller volumes. Looks like I was right on that note.
Oh, and I will start lubing up my molds.. This casting took a chunk out of the side of my cube. Which I think means it’s ruined. We’ll see. But, I bought a new cylindrical one that I think will be super cool.
So, that’s where I am right now. Hoping to have some painting to show for here soon. Just been pretty busy, and I have to be in the right headspace to paint. Otherwise I hate whatever I do. 😉
Hope y’all enjoyed it!