Hey! Long time no see, right?! It’s been crazy!
First, the update!
My classes are going great. Just slogging through research currently. Which is just kinda.. meh.
We survived Harvey with little to no issue. The Hubs and I spent some serious time at work (6 days for him, 2 for me), got a ton of rain, (no flooding in our neighborhood, yay!), and the Midget is off school for another week. So, all’s well here. We did have some friends that lost a lot, so prayers and good thoughts are appreciated for them.
My pregnancy is, so far, amazing. No bad news to report, chugging along at 26 weeks and loving it! We’re getting some 3d pictures and videos done at some point, so those will be cool and exciting. Now we’re scheduling baby showers and still working on getting a room for him. Luckily, we already have a bassinet and everything we need for like his first year. The upstairs room is just a bonus.
And Bones 4 closed up yesterday. I was sad to miss the closing party, but there was no way to get there without some huge headaches, and I didn’t know about it until the day of. I ended up pledging, but not a lot. With my lack of painting, and the glut of minis I just received (on top of the mound of Bones 2 I haven’t finished), I couldn’t really justify a lot. I didn’t even end up getting a core set. Just some add-ons that I couldn’t live without. I have over a year to add more if I decide to… So, we’ll see.
Alright, enough about me, onto the painting!
I decided I needed something big to paint, so I went with the Frost Giant Warriors.
I couldn’t find any copies of them painted online, so I just went back to D&D and found my inspiration there.
So, with that in mind, I set off!
Mixture of blue and grey liner applied. I also actually washed and scrubbed these, and I forgot how much more easily the painting process goes when you do that! I’ve been painting bones since I got my vampire box, so I’ve gotten a little lazy lately. Won’t do that again for sure!
Now we have some brown basecoat, and some silver. I went with blackened steel so I could bring it up, but keep it nice and cool. Also, the cloak is going to be a blue-ish wolf-ish pelt, and a white beard (duh).
I had to decide on a base. I knew I wanted some tile, and I knew I wanted some snow. So I decided on a tiled courtyard. I laid all the tiles, grouted them, and painted them. I think it turned out pretty fantastic. The hubs was skeptical when he first saw all the colors, but changed his mind when he saw the finished product.
Update shot of bases, arms, and minis. Coming along quite nicely! (also, you can see my snack bowl… girl’s gotta eat.)
Here’s my snow practice. The one on the right is thicker, the one on the left is a thinner paste. The thin seems to work better, so that’s the one I’ll use!
I started working on some shading on the fur. There’s still some work to be done here, but you can see there is a gradient starting. I want them to be similar, but different patterns of light and dark on the fur. Will keep pushing that contrast!
This is where I ended yesterday. Still have a ways to go, but we’re making good progress, and it’s more than I’ve been able to accomplish in months. Today, I’m working on trying to get them done. Just a few shots of what I’ve done today, and then I’m back to the grindstone!
This guy had some issues with his injection molding. There’s a bunch of missing rivets, and some with holes in them, as well as some holes in his beard. Nothing a little PVA can’t fix. So I did that.
And one is based! I was trying to just test-fit him, but the snow said no. So I went ahead and just based him. Feeling close to done!
So, I’m going to go back and try to finish these guys up today. I have to go back to work and do schoolwork and all that tomorrow, so I only have a limited window. And if I know me, if I set them down they’ll never get done.
Let me know what you think!!